To watch a video for these instructions click here.
2 lbs short ribs
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1 ½ tbsp peanut oil
3 star anise
1 long cinnamon stick (or 2 short ones)
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1 tsp crushed red pepper
Slow Cooking Sauce:
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp thick soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp sugar
- Remove as much fat from the outside of the ribs as possible. Then sprinkle the ribs on all sides with the salt and pepper and set them aside.
- Peel the ginger and slice it into large pieces and then set them aside.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the slow cooking sauce and then set this mixture aside.
- Next, brown the short ribs. In a large frying pan heat the peanut oil on high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ribs and brown them on all sides. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- After the ribs are browned, remove them and place them in a slow cooker.
- Then deglaze the pan by pouring about ¼ cup of the slow cooking sauce into it, using a spatula to get up all of the browned bits.
- Pour the deglazed pan sauce into the slow cooker over the ribs. Then add the rest of the slow cooking sauce as well.
- Next add the star anise, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds, orange peel and crushed red pepper and ginger.
- Stir so that these spices are evenly distributed in the slow cooker.
- Then cover and let it cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, place them in a bowl and serve. Makes 2 servings.