These slow cooked Chinese short ribs combine an amazing fall off the bone texture with hints of star anise, cinnamon, and orange slow cooked in a delicious beef based sauce. They make a warm and delicious meal and are the perfect for those busy days. Simply prepare them the night before or early in the morning, set the slow cooker on low and let it do the rest of the work. Try this amazing slow cooked Chinese short ribs recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
2 lbs short ribs
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1 ½ tbsp peanut oil
3 star anise
1 long cinnamon stick (or 2 short ones)
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1 tsp crushed red pepper
Slow Cooking Sauce:
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp thick soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp sugar
- Remove as much fat from the outside of the ribs as possible. Then sprinkle the ribs on all sides with the salt and pepper and set them aside.
- Peel the ginger and slice it into large pieces and then set them aside.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the slow cooking sauce and then set this mixture aside.
- Next, brown the short ribs. In a large frying pan heat the peanut oil on high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ribs and brown them on all sides. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- After the ribs are browned, remove them and place them in a slow cooker.
- Then deglaze the pan by pouring about ¼ cup of the slow cooking sauce into it, using a spatula to get up all of the browned bits.
- Pour the deglazed pan sauce into the slow cooker over the ribs. Then add the rest of the slow cooking sauce as well.
- Next add the star anise, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds, orange peel and crushed red pepper and ginger.
- Stir so that these spices are evenly distributed in the slow cooker.
- Then cover and let it cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, place them in a bowl and serve. Makes 2 servings.