Try this shiitake and bean curd stir fry recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
25 dried shiitake mushrooms
4 dried bean curd sheets
¾ cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 tbsp oyster sauce (or mushroom oyster sauce)
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp stir fry oil
- In a medium sized bowl, soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 45 minutes or until they expand.
- While the mushrooms soak, prepare the other ingredients. Using a flat pan or lasagna dish, soak the bean curd sheets in warm water for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until they become flexible.
- Once they become flexible, drain them in a colander and squeeze them to remove all of the excess water.
- Then either cut them with a knife or simply tear them into medium sized rough pieces and set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together the chicken broth and the oyster sauce. Then set this sauce mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Next check to see if the mushrooms are soft and have expanded. Then cut off all of the stems and set the caps aside.
- In a large non stick pot or wok, heat the stir fry oil on high.
- When the oil is hot add the mushrooms and stir fry them for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until they start to brown on both sides.
- Next, add the bean curd pieces and the sauce mixture. Mix everything together and let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat, place it in a bowl and serve. Makes about 4 servings.