Dried bean curd, sometimes called “tofu skin” is often used in stir fries and other dishes to add texture and substance. It is an excellent alternative for vegetarians and those who are looking to cut back on their meat consumption. To adapt this recipe to vegetarian, simply substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth and the oyster sauce with mushroom oyster sauce. Mushroom oyster sauce can usually be found in most Oriental grocery stores and online.
Try this shiitake and bean curd stir fry recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
25 dried shiitake mushrooms
4 dried bean curd sheets
¾ cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 tbsp oyster sauce (or mushroom oyster sauce)
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp stir fry oil
- In a medium sized bowl, soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 45 minutes or until they expand.
- While the mushrooms soak, prepare the other ingredients. Using a flat pan or lasagna dish, soak the bean curd sheets in warm water for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until they become flexible.
- Once they become flexible, drain them in a colander and squeeze them to remove all of the excess water.
- Then either cut them with a knife or simply tear them into medium sized rough pieces and set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together the chicken broth and the oyster sauce. Then set this sauce mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Next check to see if the mushrooms are soft and have expanded. Then cut off all of the stems and set the caps aside.
- In a large non stick pot or wok, heat the stir fry oil on high.
- When the oil is hot add the mushrooms and stir fry them for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until they start to brown on both sides.
- Next, add the bean curd pieces and the sauce mixture. Mix everything together and let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once it starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat, place it in a bowl and serve. Makes about 4 servings.