At work, of necessity we are often guarded in our communication for fear of repercussions. Coworkers are rarely known well enough to trust with intimate secrets or personal information. The world we live in seems to drive us apart. Unfortunately, human beings living life on our own without caring and constructive input, become increasingly more alone, introverted and self-centered.
Christians do not fare much better than the secular population when it comes to closeness. Many Christians do not consider it necessary to attend a church and many of those who do attend, donít interact with other members. They simply take in the sermon and leave without entering in to anything but the briefest conversation. This must be Satanís favorite thing - to separate Christians from one another.
Fellowship is a Christian word meaning "doing life together". Living life alone, is not in Godís plan. We can tell that by looking at the many one another commands in the Bible.
- The first and foremost - the one we hear most often - is to love one another. This special bond is a gift to us from our Heavenly Father and is meant to show the world that we belong to Christ. (John 13:34,35)
- The apostle Paul tells Christians to be devoted to one another and to honor one another above themselves. This requires intentional interaction. (Romans 12:19)
- We are to accept one another making adjustments in our own behavior to accommodate fellow believers. (Romans 15:7)
- We are to bear with one another in love being both humble and patient. (Ephesians 4:2)
All of these seem to assume that Christians will be spending time together. Other one another verses show us how to put love into action.
- We are to meet with other Christians and encourage one another with everything we say - everyday. (Hebrews 10:25 Ephesians5:19, Hebrews 3:13)
- Greet one another warmly with genuine interest. (Romans 6:16)
- Agree with one another avoiding conflict. (1Corinthians 1:10)
- Confess sins and pray with one another. (James 5:16)
- Be kind and compassionate with one another - forgiving offenses because Jesus forgave so much for each of us. (Ephesians 4:32)
- Carry one anotherís burdens. (Galatians 6:2)
Christians are called the body of Christ united by His Spirit. When I think of my body, I would be in distress if parts of it decided to go off somewhere and not associate with other parts. My body would not function well. It is the same with the body of Christ. All the parts - all Christians - are meant to communicate with one another and to work in harmony in the functioning body.
If you doubt that God is serious about Christian fellowship, here are a few Bible verses to read on the subject:
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and lessons from their lives.
Now available in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that describe
the characteristics of His personality.
Get to know God through the names given Him in Scripture.