Every teen knows that finding your identity is a process in life that is no easy endeavor. It takes a lot of will and patience. But, by following the steps below, you’ll discover that finding who you are can be just as easy as blinking.
1. Ask yourself “Who am I?” Many people spend their entire lives trying to find the answer to this very question. It’s amazing how much time and energy people use just to find the answer to this question they so desperately crave. That is why this question will always be one of the most important questions that can ever be asked. This very question is a part of what it means to be human and, therefore, will be forever ingrained in the fabric of the quilt that is human nature. As a teen asking yourself this question, you are basically laying the foundation for a lifetime of self-improvement. By asking this question, you are making a conscientious effort to making a better life for yourself and those around you. You can find the solution to this question by examining your feelings and finding out what your likes and dislikes are. You can also find the solution by discovering what kinds of things you like to do and what kinds of things you don’t like to do. By asking yourself the above question, you’ll discover that it is the first step towards finding your identity.
2. Assess your dreams and goals! This is another crucial step towards finding your identity. Picture yourself accomplishing something you’ve always wanted to do. Whether it’s bungee jumping, publishing that book you’ve been writing, or finding true love, having a dream or a goal is very important. Every human being has a dream, something that they would like to see come into reality. Dreams and goals are what drive us to get up in the morning. Our determination to achieve is what sets us human beings apart from any other creature on the planet. We are very ambitious creatures and once we have our mind set on something…well…it’s hard to lead us astray. Finding something your truly passionate about is especially crucial to finding your identity. By examining your likes and dislikes, you can find out just what you want your dreams and goals to become.
3. Find positive ways of expressing yourself! As a teen, finding an outlet to express your emotions is critical to discovering who you are as a human being. Discovering a hobby like writing, painting, or even exercising can make a big difference in raising your self-esteem. Taking up a new hobby can also give you a broader perception of the world around you. A hobby is also great for meeting new people who share the same interests as you. By meeting new people at school or even in your own community, you can express your emotions in a positive manner that will not only help you but other people around you as well.
4. Don’t be afraid to take chances! Taking risks and being unafraid of the unknown is another essential part to finding your identity. Without taking risks, many of the adults you know wouldn’t be who they are today. Taking risks are an exciting part of growing up and these risks, whether they are positive or negative, will allow you to grow as a human being. This growth will ultimately help you on your journey towards finding your identity.
5. Face life with confidence! This is probably the most important part in the process of finding your identity. Confidence is the key to success in life. No matter what kind of circumstances you may face in life, confidence is the key to overcoming those circumstances. When you have confidence in yourself, your skills, and your personality, finding your identity will be as thrilling as finding a bag full of gold. Confidence is simply the best gift in the world. People are attracted to those who are confident. When you attract good people into your life through confidence, more than likely you will attract positive opportunities as well.
In the end, finding your identity is about positivity and confidence. Finding one’s identity is a journey that we all must take at some point in our lives. It is a part of growing up as a human being and, as a teen, it is important to realize that. Though it is a journey that is worth partaking in, finding your identity is an adventure that is full of ups and downs. But with confidence, knowing who you are as a person, and expressing yourself in a positive manner, you can find your identity with the greatest of ease.