This classic recipe is perfect for gatherings, because it's naturally vegetarian and quite delicious!
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 large red or green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup sharp provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook the rice according to the directions and drain.
- While the rice is cooking, melt the butter in a small frying pan, over a medium heat. Add in pine nuts, celery, and onion. Cook until the onion is just starting to turn gold. Stir into the rice and mix well.
- Add in eggs, stirring quickly after each addition.
- Add in the remaining spices and seasonings.
- Remove from heat and mix in the provolone cheese.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Place open-end-up in a greased baking dish. Spoon mixture into the peppers (do not over fill).
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the peppers.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water to bottom of dish.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
The Edible Pepper Garden, by Rosalind Creasy
From sweet peppers to four-alarm spicy ones, here are all the essentials on growing your own private pepper garden, including basic gardening tips and mouth-watering recipes for both the hot pepper lover and the faint of heart.