A basic, everyday way to prepare any fish fillet. This version features perch, perfect for Christmas Eve and the feast of the seven fishes.
2 pounds frozen ocean perch
1/2-3/4 cup of flour
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Defrost the perch fillets, and press out as much water as possible. Squeeze gently between paper towels.
- Press the fillets into the flour. Knock off any excess flour.
- Beat eggs and then dip the fillets in the eggs and then into the bread crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, over medium heat.
- Sauté the fillets quickly until golden, on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with the salt, and serve with lemon wedges.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Fish & Shellfish : The Definitive Cook's Companion
Every few decades a chef or a teacher writes a cookbook that is so comprehensive and offers such depth of subject matter and cooking inspiration that it becomes a virtual bible for amateur and professional alike. Author James Peterson, who wrote the book Sauces, a James Beard Cookbook of the Year winner, and the incomparable Splendid Soups, once again demonstrates his connoisseurship with Fish & Shellfish, a monumental cookbook that will take its rightful place as the first and last word on seafood preparation and cooking.