“Baking” in the slow cooker is easy. Most baked items take 2-3 hours, and the slow cooker doesn’t need any attention (unlike the oven) while baking. You can run errands or be away from the house with no worries about safety.
I own a GE slow cooker that is rectangular in shape - about the size of a 9 x 13" baking pan. I have several recipes for cakes, cookies, and breads that fit nicely in this slow cooker (It's also perfect for main dishes that are served in squares like lasagne). There is another one that I recently purchased, made by West Bend, that is oblong shaped. It is about half the size of the GE slow cooker, so I need two of them for a batch of these 6-Layer Bars. If you have a large oval slow cooker, cookies, cakes, and breads will work nicely in it, although the cooking times may be longer since the dough will be a little thicker. For round slow cookers, you will need two slow cookers, but two rounds cut into nice even wedges are great for serving, so cookies and other baked goods work well in the rounds. I can’t imagine owning only one slow cooker, since they are so versatile, and if you are so inclined, you can shop the discount stores for sales and get your kitchen stocked with several of these timesaving, convenient, versatile appliances. They’re also perfect for college dorms, summer homes, and other locations that don’t have an oven. You'll be amazed at what you can do in a slow cooker.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds (or your favorite nuts)
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Place the butter in the crock of the slow cooker, put on the lid, and turn on high to melt the butter while you are assembling the remaining ingredients. If you’re in a big hurry to get these done, just melt the butter in the microwave and pour it into the slow cooker.
- When the butter has melted, sprinkle with the graham cracker crumbs; use a spoon to spread the crumbs evenly over the butter.
- Sprinkle evenly with the coconut, then the chocolate chips, then the almonds.
- With your hands, press down.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the bars.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and cook 2-4 hours or until the chocolate looks melted (or high 1-2 hours).
- Move the lid off the crockery slightly, turn the slow cooker to high and cook until the top of the bars is set
- Remove the lid and let cool in the crock.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 207 Calories from Fat 111
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 7% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 36g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 92 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Purchase an oblong slow cooker from Amazon:
West Bend 84905 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker
Breville BSC560XL Stainless-Steel 7-Quart Slow Cooker with EasySear Insert