- One reason is that you may be able to increase your salary. If you do not have a degree yet, then you may earn approximately $20,000 more per year after you do earn one. If you are self-employed, getting more education can allow you to increase your hourly fees. In teaching, many school boards pay higher salaries to teachers with higher degrees.
- You may get that promotion you would like. If you are participating in extra learning activities you will often earn a certificate that you can add to your resume. In an interview, you will be able to point out that you are keeping up to date and increasing your skills in your field.
- You may be required to participate in continuing education if you are a professional in order to renew your license. Some professions require a set number of CEU’s to be completed every year. As a professional, you would probably want to keep abreast of current developments in your field and therefore take more courses or attend conferences or workshops to learn what is new in your field.
- If you are changing careers, you will need to learn the knowledge and skills required for the new job you want to do. Adding a certificate in the new area to your present degree will help you to do this relatively quickly.
- When there are downturns in the economy, you will be more valuable to your employer if you have remained up to date in your field and also added some additional skills or knowledge to those with which you began. After all, with layoffs, you may be required to do two jobs rather than your one original job.
- Taking courses and attending workshops etc. will increase your network, which is another way to increase your value to your present employer or increase your worth to a future employer.
- You may want to learn about something new, learn more about a special hobby you have, get a degree because it is a goal you have, or keep your brain active by studying philosophy or science. There are many choices of subjects to cover almost all personal interests that people have.
Many people like to learn, which means that there are many reasons why they would take continuing education courses. For many people there are benefits to continuing education courses that that are essential to increase their goals in their working life. There are many reasons why people take continuing education courses whether or not they already have a degree and many of the continuing education courses are offered by distance learning.