Rachelle lives in Michigan and insists that dried Michigan cherries are much better in these luscious treats; she orders them online in multi-pound packages. If possible, when purchasing cherries for these clusters, check the ingredient list to make sure there is no added sugar. Also, use the highest-quality, best dark chocolate you can get, at least 60-80% Cacao. Believe it or not, dark chocolate has some nutritional value, is loaded with anti-oxidants, and is even considered a necessary food group by those of us who want an excuse to eat it daily (see disclaimer at the bottom of this article).
If you have a few minutes time, you can have these made and stowed in the freezer before anyone else even suspects there’s chocolate in the house.
1 cup raw almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (see note below)
1 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
10 ounces dark chocolate, preferably 60-70% Cacao
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Mix the almonds and cherries in a bowl.
- Break the chocolate into a microwaveable container and microwave 1 -3 minutes, stirring every minute, until smooth and melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the almond/cherry mixture; stir until well-mixed.
- Using a teaspoonful-size scoop, scoop mounds onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator until set.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place or the refrigerator.
Note: The easiest way to toast almonds is to place them on a baking sheet and bake them in a preheated 350° oven for 8-10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 92 Calories from Fat 50
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 8% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Disclaimer: While most of us recognize that chocolate is not really a nutritional food group, the nutritional value and anti-oxidant aspects regarding dark chocolate are actually true and have been discussed by experts in dozens of informative articles over the last few years.