Are you one of those ďDonít talk to me until Iíve had my morning coffee!Ē types? If youíre hooked on caffeine, you may want to consider these 15 interesting facts about coffee and caffeine.
1. Caffeine fact about hangovers. Although caffeine will wake up a drunk, it has no effect on sobriety. In fact, coffee can actually make a hangover worse by dehydrating the body.
2. Caffeine fact about headaches. Caffeine is used in various painkillers, since it seems to increase the power of aspirin by as much as 40%. However, caffeine gradually loses its effectiveness causing more frequent headaches.
3. Caffeine fact about increased energy. Many people say that caffeine gives them a lift, causing them to feel less drowsy and more alert. But, over time, more and more is needed to produce the same result, causing greater dependency on caffeine.
4. Caffeine fact about problem solving and quick response. Some experts claim that caffeine speeds up reaction time, while others say it slows it down. But most scientists agree that caffeine worsens performance of more complicated tasks, such as numerical reasoning, complex word problems, delicate muscular coordination and accurate timing.
5. Caffeine fact about sleep. A cup of coffee 30 to 60 minutes before going to bed causes restlessness, delay of sleep and a decreased quality of sleep. And one recent study, sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, showed that caffeine taken in the morning created consistent stress throughout the day that persisted even through bedtime.
6. Caffeine fact about heartburn. Coffee seems to relax the sphincter muscle of the esophagus in some people causing heartburn. But research is not clear if this is from the caffeine or from some other elements found in coffee.
7. Caffeine fact about iron deficiency anemia. Drinking coffee has been shown to cause significant loss of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B and C, calcium, zinc and iron.
8. Caffeine fact about high blood pressure. Caffeine causes the blood vessels to constrict and the heart to pump faster, leading to hypertension. Coffee can worsen the symptoms of high blood pressure, as well as reduce the effect of hypertension medications.
9. Caffeine fact about heart disease, heart attack and stroke. Coffee contains a known blood thickener and caffeine has been shown to cause cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beat). A study at John Hopkins Medical Institute found people who drink five or more cups of coffee a day have two to three times the risk of coronary heart disease.
10. Caffeine fact about ulcers. Coffee stimulates acid secretion, irritating ulcers.
11. Caffeine fact about adrenal function. Caffeine increases adrenal levels and can lead to adrenal exhaustion, causing anxiety attacks and an inability to properly respond to stress.
12. Caffeine fact about PMS. Caffeine consumption has been linked to a higher incidence of many premenstrual syndrome symptoms, such as tension, irritability, anxiety, tiredness, sleep problems and breast tenderness.
13. Caffeine fact about infertility. Coffee seems to slow down the mobility of sperm, as well as increase the incidence of abnormal sperm. Research has also shown that women who drink more than a cup of coffee a day reduced their fertility by as much as 50 percent.
14. Caffeine fact about pregnancy. An increase in miscarriages, stillbirths, breech births and low birth rate has been connected to coffee consumption. Caffeine can remain in the blood of a fetus or newborn for as much as four days, causing irritability and sleep problems.
15. Caffeine fact about osteoporosis. A study of over 80,000 patients showed that heavy coffee consumption leaches calcium from the bones, causing brittle bones.
So, is coffee good for you or is coffee bad for you? After digesting all of these interesting facts about coffee and the health and side effects of caffeine, itís time for you to be the judge!
Be sure to checkout my free Natural Health Newsletter.
Click here for the Site Map.
Articles you might also enjoy:
How to Lose Weight Fast and Safe
How to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Top 10 Healthiest Foods for Healthy Meals
How Many Calories Should I Eat a Day to Lose Weight
To subscribe to the Natural Health Newsletter, just enter your email address in the subscribe box at the bottom of this page.
© Copyright by Moss Greene. All Rights Reserved.
Note: The information contained on this website is not intended to be prescriptive. Any attempt to diagnose or treat an illness should come under the direction of a physician who is familiar with nutritional therapy.