- Plan ahead - whatever activity your date may consist of, make sure that you think ahead and make the necessary plans. If you plan on going out to dinner, choose a restaurant and make reservations. If the date will consist of attending some type of event (whether it is a movie, a play or a sports game), make sure to order tickets in advance so that you and your date are guaranteed a spot. Another way to plan ahead is to make sure that you bring enough money and perhaps brainstorm a few conversation starters so that you can avoid some of those awkward silences and keep the communication flowing throughout.
- Mind your manners - It might seem like common sense but sometimes people are so nervous on a first date that they somehow manage to neglect their manners. As always, you should say please and thank you when appropriate and avoid doing things like talking with your mouth full, picking your nose or releasing any type of gas during your date.
- Show interest in your date - Ask meaningful questions and listen actively to your date's responses. Do your best to make sure that your date has your undivided attention at all times.
- Keep your date waiting - Start getting ready for your big date early enough so that you can make it to where you need to be at the right time. To be on the safe side, factor in some extra time for unexpected traffic or miscellaneous setbacks like getting lost. One of the easiest ways to ruin a first date is to show up late without so much as a warning or an apology. The last thing you want to do on a first date is to annoy your partner before you even get there. If you happen to be running late due to circumstances that are out of your control, the least you can do is call your date, apologize and let him/her know what is going on and what time you plan on being there.
- Talk about past relationships - There is a time and a place for everything and you can be sure that a first date is definitely NOT the time or the place to be discussing grievances about past relationship experiences.
- Forget to act like you are on a date - Flirting with that cute waiter/waitress or answering calls on your cell phone are not only extremely rude but also extremely likely to ruin your date.