This is a great way to take advantage of the fresh local berries that are available during the summer at farmer’s markets, roadside fruit stands, or your own gardens. It’s quick to put together, and is sure to become a summer favorite.
1 10 3/4 ounce frozen all-butter pound cake, such as Sara Lee brand
2/3 cup berry liqueur, or berry flavored coffee syrup
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups heavy whipping cream
4 to 6 cups fresh berries, rinsed and drained well (if using strawberries, slice or chop them)
Additional fresh berries, for garnish
Fresh mint, for garnish
- Defrost the pound cake and cut into four horizontal slices.
- Place two of the slices on a serving platter; drizzle 1/3 of the liqueur over the slices.
- Spread 1/4 of the filling over each of the liqueur soaked cake slices.
- Top with an additional slice of cake and drizzle with the remaining liqueur.
- Top each with the remaining filling.
- Garnish with additional fresh berries and mint, if available.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Filling: Whip the cream cheese, sugar, and lemon and lime juices until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream to stiff peaks. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Carefully fold the berries into the cream mixture.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 277 Calories from Fat 158
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 4% Carb. 33%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 78 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 51% Calcium 0% Iron 3%