At Easter time, mini egg shaped marshmallows are available; they come in an assortment of Easter colors. If you canít find them, regular colored marshmallows work fine. Serve the warm rolls in a cute Easter basket with Easter grass for a festive presentation.
If you donít have an automatic bread machine and are too busy to make yeast breads, consider getting one at a thrift store Ė spring cleaning usually means that people clean out their garages and get rid of their automatic bread machines because they havenít used them in a while. Since they make perfect dough, and they do all the work, itís worth it to own one. Otherwise, you can make the dough by the conventional method; itís not as easy, and uses more hands-on time, but the end result is the same.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup powdered milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1/2 cup melted butter
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar
- Place the ingredients for the dough in the order given.
- Turn the bread machine to the dough setting.
- Check after 5 minutes to make sure the ingredients have formed a soft ball. If the ball is too soft, add a little more flour; if the ball is too stiff, add more water and start the cycle over.
- When the cycle is finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured pastry cloth or lightly floured surface.
- Roll or pat out to a 12 x 12" square.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the dough in half horizontally, then vertically into 8 strips.
- Brush each strip with melted butter and roll in the lemon sugar mixture.
- Stretch each strip, bring the ends together, and twist once.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Immediately place a colored marshmallow at the fold to resemble a tail.
- Drizzle with the glaze if using.
Glaze: whisk together the butter, lemon juice, and enough powdered sugar to make a smooth glaze.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 299 Calories from Fat 90
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 30% Protein 6% Carb. 64%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 329 mg
Total Carbohydrate 48 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 3%