Working a 9 to 5 can be more than be financially rewarding, it can be intellectually stimulating as well. However, there are bound to be those days when you wonder why you subject yourself to suffering work problems, bad manners and bad attitudes.
From time to time anyone who works outside of the home will have difficulty getting along with co-workers. Instead of thinking of leaving your job, think of ways you can help to create a more harmonious work environment.
1. Be mindful that there are always two sides to every story and every situation. Generally there is more than meets the eye. It may be that your co-worker has a personal problem at home or is ill and afraid to let anyone know.
2. If you are the target of gossip, confront the person head on by asking if there is a specific problem he or she has with you. Do this quietly and non-combative. You may be surprised to find that you have taken the wind out of the troublemaker's sails. If one confrontation is all it takes, let the issue die on the spot, do not pass the story on to your pal in the office.
3. If something or someone has made you angry, allow some cool off time before you address the conflicting matter. Words said in the heat of anger can have a lasting affect on the entire office family. Once you have had a chance to cool down you will be able to have a communicative and constructive discussion with your antagonist or your manager.
4. Take time to do some soul searching. It is really the other person that is the problem or is it you? Are you a perfectionist? Do you find fault with everything that someone else does or says? Are you unwilling to compromise because you know that you are right?
5. Pick your battles. Some things simply are not important enough to fight about.
6. Spread good will and positive feelings among your co-workers. When someone does a good job or makes an important contribution to the office, compliment them. It only takes a few kind words to change a persons attitude.
7. Don't be the office snoop. Don't be nosy. Don't be the office gossip. In other words "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."
See Amazon'a cute 12" x 36" Three Wise Frogs - "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" - Poster Print Get it or something similar. Frame it and hang it at your workplace for some laughs; and a gentle hint and a wink to those who enter into your work space.