A new study shows that being overweight and active is still far more dangerous than being thin and inactive. It's time to start losing that weight!
The study, done at the Harvard School of Public Health, involved 116,500 women. They were broken up into four groups:
active and slim
active and heavy
inactive and slim
inactive and heavy
Those who were inactive and slim had a 55% higher rate of death.
Those who were active and obese had a 100% higher rate of death.
Those who were inactive and obese had a 150% higher rate of death.
So the study showed pretty clearly that the extra weight directly led to medical problems, even if the person was staying active.
Make sure you take action every week to become more active and to develop a more healthy manner of eating. It only takes a few extra walks a week, or switching from sugary soda to water, to make a pretty large difference!
Here's just a few ideas that I have incorporated into my daily life:
* Find reasons to go up and down the stairs a few times each day
* Deliberately park further from the entrance of stores, to get some extra walking in
* Find a hobby that involves walking, like birding or photography
* Talk with a friend to go for walks at lunchtime or after work
* Put on fun music and dance around a bit