This English mulled wine recipe is perfect to keep you warm.
This drink is named after its creator Col. Francis Negus. Col. Negus was an English army officer who died in 1732.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 36 whole cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 nutmeg, grated
- 3 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 2 cups lemon juice
- 4 bottles red wine
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Remove the zest from the lemons and oranges.
- Squeeze the lemons and oranges, adding the juice to the 2 cups of lemon juice.
- In a pot mix the water, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and citrus peels.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the syrup into a large pot, and add the lemon-orange juice.
- Add the red wine and heat through without boiling.
- Lower the heat Keep covered on lowest heat. Serve with lemon slices.
Bella Wine Recommends
Bodum Chambord Coffee Glasses
Much more elegant for sipping mulled wine than your coffee mugs. These glasses hold 10-ounce each, and are have chrome-plated steel frames.