Let's gather in a prayer service, either indoors or outdoors, to honor those who gave their lives defending freedom.
1. Establish an altar or central focal point laid out with candles, flowers or other mementos.
2. To begin, everyone holds hands and the leader recites the prayer:
"We show our thankfulness in prayer
This honor you deserve
Giving all for freedom's call
That we may live without reserve."
3. Allow a minute for silent reflection. This is an opportunity to reflect on the meaning of Memorial Day. What are we honoring? What debt of gratitude do we owe to those who gave for our benefit? What can we do to make life better for others?
4. Other participants can come forward with offerings of prayer or tribute.
5. After all offerings, allow a few minutes for silent reflection and meditation. This is a time to think about why we as humans keep repeating the same errors time and time again. How we think we are separate rather than realizing we lead interwoven lives interdependent on each other's offerings and talents.
6. Finish the ceremony with a prayer for world peace:
"Lord, protect us each and everyone
Inspire us to peaceful be
On this planet we call home
For all the world's our family."
I invite you to join me in a daily group cyber meditation for personal and planetary peace. Click the article here to read about it.
Meditation Lessons for Teens and Adults
More than 70 offerings, from guided meditation techniques to on-the-go stress relief and relationship meditations interspersed with verse, and a section of special occasion prayers. 114 pages. PDF Ebook | EPUB | Paperback | Mac Users | B&N NOOK eBook
Meditation for All Kids
Sitting, walking, dance and group circle meditations, along with positive affirmations, verses and benefits of meditation for kids of all ages and abilities in a 100 page book with illustrations. PDF Ebook | EPUB | Paperback | Mac Users | B&N NOOK eBook
Sign up below or in the right-hand column for our meditation site newsletter. It only requires your email address and is never given out or sold to anyone.
Article by Susan Helene Kramer