This is a easy, easy recipe to put in your crockpot at the beginning of the day for a tasty, low fat, low carb, healthy meal that evening.
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine (such as Merlot)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a 3 - 5 quart crockpot place the chicken pieces.
- Layer the onion, garlic, and mushrooms over the chicken.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano, sugar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper on top of the chicken and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Serve with pasta cooked al dente and a simple salad.
Note: It is best to follow the recipe's instructions, but a general rule of thumb is that 1 hour on high equals 2 hours on low.
Recommended For Your Kitchen
A slow cooker that's perfect for the family on the go. This crock-pot can go from the freezer, to the stop, to the oven, plus it's dishwasher safe. Versatility is a plus! It's on my list as a gift for those starting out in their own kitchens. They don't need 10 different pots, just this one. The fact that the bottom can be used as a griddle is a definite plus.