These cookies are gooooooooood! A wonderful after dinner biscotti to have with your espresso. They are also delicious as a breakfast cookie with your cappuccino.
- 1/2 cup anise seeds, finely chopped or ground
- 3 2/3 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs honey
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Chop anise seeds finely (I have a pepper grinder filled with anise seeds).
- In a bowl mix the flour and baking soda.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg, honey, milk, and anise seeds.
- Blend in the flour-baking soda mixture.
- Cover and allow to rest in a cool place for an hour.
- Shape dough into rolls about 1/2" in diameter.
- Pinch off a 4" rope and twist into a figure 8 shape.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Mix together the confectioners sugar and water to make a glaze.
- Drizzle or paint the tops of the cookies with the glaze.
Note: As with many Italian recipes, the name has been shorten and changed a bit in the US. This cookie is called genetti by some Italian Americans.