This soup is rich, creamy, and delicious, featuring the tastes of eggplant, mushrooms, and lamb.
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cubed into 1"x1" pieces
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, diced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups lamb stock
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (you may also red wine)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs flour
- 3 sage leaves, minced (or 1 tsp dried sage)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the eggplant and the onions to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and stir. Cover the pot and cook for 7 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the stock, sugar, tomato paste, and wine. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes (until the eggplant is soft).
- Remove the pot from the heat and place the soup in a food processor. Process the soup until smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- In the soup pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the flour, sage, salt, and pepper over the butter and stir. Cook for the butter mixture for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add the eggplant-mushroom soup mixture in batches. Stir until smooth before adding the next batch.
- Cook the soup over medium heat until smooth and thickened.
- Lower the heat and add the cream to the soup. Stir until smooth and heat through.
- Serve immediately.
Note: This is a wonderful soup that is perfect for a low carb meal.