Eggplant & Mushroom Soup Recipe
This soup is rich, creamy, and delicious, featuring the tastes of eggplant, mushrooms, and lamb.
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cubed into 1"x1" pieces
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, diced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups lamb stock
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (you may also red wine)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs flour
- 3 sage leaves, minced (or 1 tsp dried sage)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the eggplant and the onions to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and stir. Cover the pot and cook for 7 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add the stock, sugar, tomato paste, and wine. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes (until the eggplant is soft).
- Remove the pot from the heat and place the soup in a food processor. Process the soup until smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- In the soup pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the flour, sage, salt, and pepper over the butter and stir. Cook for the butter mixture for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add the eggplant-mushroom soup mixture in batches. Stir until smooth before adding the next batch.
- Cook the soup over medium heat until smooth and thickened.
- Lower the heat and add the cream to the soup. Stir until smooth and heat through.
- Serve immediately.
Note: This is a wonderful soup that is perfect for a low carb meal.
You Should Also Read:
Eggplant Stuffed with Rice and Cheese
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.