There are many variations on this classic Italian soup recipe. This "pasta fasul" recipe is from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy.
Pasta and Bean Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs onion, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 mild Italian sausages, cut into 1/2" slices
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans
- 4 cups brodo di carne
- 1/2 lb ditali pasta
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and sauté the onion until it is a gold color.
- Add the carrot to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, brodo di carne, black pepper and stir well.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the salt.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and allow to boil.
- Add the pasta and stir for 30 seconds.
- Cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the grated cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated cheese if desired. Serve with garlic bread.