Pasta e Fagioli - Pasta and Bean Soup Recipe
There are many variations on this classic Italian soup recipe. This "pasta fasul" recipe is from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy.
Pasta and Bean Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs onion, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 mild Italian sausages, cut into 1/2" slices
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans
- 4 cups brodo di carne
- 1/2 lb ditali pasta
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and sauté the onion until it is a gold color.
- Add the carrot to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, brodo di carne, black pepper and stir well.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the salt.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and allow to boil.
- Add the pasta and stir for 30 seconds.
- Cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the grated cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated cheese if desired. Serve with garlic bread.
You Should Also Read:
How to Cook Pasta
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.