If your child isn't crazy about birthday cake, Brown Sugar Birthday Bars are a nice alternative for his or her birthday celebration.
- 1 16 ounce bag of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ stick of butter
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla
- 2 cups of self rising flower
- Powdered sugar, enough to lightly dust the top of the bars
- 1 package of milk chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm the sticks of butter in the microwave or in a sauce pan until it's just about melted.
- Cream the brown sugar and butter.
- Add the three eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Starting with ½ cup of flower, gradually add the flour to the brown sugar mixture.
- When the above ingredients are thoroughly mixed, gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan, and bake for thirty to thirty five minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool.
- Lightly dust the top with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
Tips for this recipe:
- The brown sugar mixture may be baked in any type of oven safe baking dish. For example, you can use a heart shaped pan. After it's finished baking and has cooled, you can gently remove the heart shaped brown sugar bar, place on a large platter, and serve.
- This recipe calls for lightly dusting the top of the bars with powdered sugar. However, you may also add a layer of milk chocolate, vanilla, or cream cheese frosting.
- This recipe may be made ahead of time, and placed in the refrigerator for two days. Remove fifteen minutes before baking.
- Candles will work just fine on the birthday bars.