Birthday celebrations are fun events for kids. From backyard games to bouncy inflatables, there's usually some form of entertainment that will please the birthday boy or girl. However, not every child enjoys the traditional birthday cake.
If your child isn't crazy about birthday cake, Brown Sugar Birthday Bars are a nice alternative for his or her birthday celebration.
- 1 16 ounce bag of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ stick of butter
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla
- 2 cups of self rising flower
- Powdered sugar, enough to lightly dust the top of the bars
- 1 package of milk chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm the sticks of butter in the microwave or in a sauce pan until it's just about melted.
- Cream the brown sugar and butter.
- Add the three eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Starting with ½ cup of flower, gradually add the flour to the brown sugar mixture.
- When the above ingredients are thoroughly mixed, gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan, and bake for thirty to thirty five minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool.
- Lightly dust the top with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
Tips for this recipe:
- The brown sugar mixture may be baked in any type of oven safe baking dish. For example, you can use a heart shaped pan. After it's finished baking and has cooled, you can gently remove the heart shaped brown sugar bar, place on a large platter, and serve.
- This recipe calls for lightly dusting the top of the bars with powdered sugar. However, you may also add a layer of milk chocolate, vanilla, or cream cheese frosting.
- This recipe may be made ahead of time, and placed in the refrigerator for two days. Remove fifteen minutes before baking.
- Candles will work just fine on the birthday bars.