This salad makes use of an often over looked vegetable.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 8 medium leeks
- 1 Tbs parsley, chopped
- slivers of Parmesan cheese
- Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, basil, salt, and white pepper.
- Heat a pot of water to boiling over high heat.
- Trim the root ends of the leeks. Cut the leeks into 5” pieces.
- Drop the leek pieces into the water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the leeks and drain well.
- Place leeks in a shallow dish and over with the dressing mixed together in step 1.
- Refrigerate until well chilled (at least 1 hour).
- Before serving sprinkle with parsley and slivers of Parmesan cheese.
Note: This salad dressing is a good basic recipe that goes well with many types of greens.
- 2 large leeks
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs mayonnaise
- Trim and clean the leeks, and slice into thin strips 3-4" long.
- Blanch the leeks in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and allow to cool.
- Remove the core and seeds from the green bell pepper and dice.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the leeks, green bell pepper, and walnuts in a salad bowl and toss with the dressing.
Note: Dirt can hide in the various layers of the leek. I like to give mine a good rinse after slicing to ensure all the grit is gone.