Italian Leek Salad Recipes
This salad makes use of an often over looked vegetable.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 8 medium leeks
- 1 Tbs parsley, chopped
- slivers of Parmesan cheese
- Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, basil, salt, and white pepper.
- Heat a pot of water to boiling over high heat.
- Trim the root ends of the leeks. Cut the leeks into 5” pieces.
- Drop the leek pieces into the water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the leeks and drain well.
- Place leeks in a shallow dish and over with the dressing mixed together in step 1.
- Refrigerate until well chilled (at least 1 hour).
- Before serving sprinkle with parsley and slivers of Parmesan cheese.
Note: This salad dressing is a good basic recipe that goes well with many types of greens.
- 2 large leeks
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs mayonnaise
- Trim and clean the leeks, and slice into thin strips 3-4" long.
- Blanch the leeks in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and allow to cool.
- Remove the core and seeds from the green bell pepper and dice.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the leeks, green bell pepper, and walnuts in a salad bowl and toss with the dressing.
Note: Dirt can hide in the various layers of the leek. I like to give mine a good rinse after slicing to ensure all the grit is gone.
You Should Also Read:
Baccalà Salad Recipe
Italian Olive and Cheese Salad Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.