Snickerdoodles are quick to make, and easy enough for children to help. Using a small scoop not only makes shaping faster, it insures that the cookies are uniform in size. Once the balls of dough are scooped, it takes just a minute to roll them in the hand into small balls, then roll them in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Using all butter in these cookies results in a crisper cookie; using all shortening results in a softer, chewier cookie.
4 dozen cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter, shortening, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and blend well.
- In a separate bowl mix the 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop tablespoons of the dough, and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball into the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Transfer the cookies to cooling racks and cool thoroughly.
Amount Per Cookie
Calories 97 Calories from Fat 41
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 42% Protein 4% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Sodium 73 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%