The official Hancock taste testers declared this the best peach dessert of the summer, and there were no leftovers. There are already several requests for a repeat performance.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
8 medium peaches, pitted, peeled, and sliced
1/4 cup amaretto, divided
1 cup whole almonds
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
9 tablespoons butter, (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- Filling: Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a large covered saucepan.
- Remove the cover, stir until the sugar has dissolved, and add the sliced peaches.
- Let the mixture come to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons amaretto.
- Let the peaches cool in the juices to room temperature.
- This step can be done up to 2 days ahead in this case, refrigerate the peaches.
- Topping: Place the almonds and sugar in the food processor and process until very fine.
- Add the butter, almond extract, and eggs; process until smooth and well-mixed.
- Crust: Mix the flour and salt in the food processor.
- Add the shortening and butter; process until the butter is the size of small peas - a few on-off pulses.
- Pour in the ice water and pulse until the mixture forms a ball.
- Assembly: Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Press the crust into a 12" tart pan with 1" high sides.
- Drain the peaches and arrange them over the surface of the crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons Amaretto over the peaches.
- Drop spoonfuls of the almond mixture over the peaches.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until the topping is puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool before cutting into 16 wedges.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 388 Calories from Fat 209
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 272 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 4%