This recipe is wonderful to prepare and have available to serve as an appetizer, take to work for lunch, or have a great meatless meal.
Eggplant Relish Recipe
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into 2” cubes
- 3 Tbs sea salt
- 1 ½ pounds bell peppers, red and yellow
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 2” cubes
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed (do not substitute cilantro leaves)
- 1 Tbs capers, drained
- black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup green olives with pimento
- Put the eggplant into a bowl and add salt. Stir gently to cover.
- Cover with paper towels and set a plate inside the bowl. Place a can on the plate to weight it. Let sit for 1 hour.
- When the eggplant is almost ready, cut the peppers into strips.
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Drain the eggplant cubes and rinse with water. Dry with paper towels.
- Heat ½ cup of olive oil in the pot and raise the heat to medium.
- Add the eggplant and peppers and fry them until they are just turning brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and ¼ cup olive oil. Cook until brown.
- Add the tomatoes to pot and lower heat.
- Stir in the sugar, basil, black pepper, and coriander. Bring the pot to a simmer. Stir frequently, until the tomatoes have begun to reduce, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the capers and olives, and simmer about 15 minutes.
Note: This is best after being refrigerated a few days. Serve at room temperature with bread.
This makes for an interesting salad dish. Line a plate with lettuce leaves and place of scoop of the caponata on top of the lettuce. Pair with Cheesy Garlic Bread for an elegant meatless meal.