Caponata - Eggplant Relish Recipe
This recipe is wonderful to prepare and have available to serve as an appetizer, take to work for lunch, or have a great meatless meal.
Eggplant Relish Recipe
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into 2” cubes
- 3 Tbs sea salt
- 1 ½ pounds bell peppers, red and yellow
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 2” cubes
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed (do not substitute cilantro leaves)
- 1 Tbs capers, drained
- black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup green olives with pimento
- Put the eggplant into a bowl and add salt. Stir gently to cover.
- Cover with paper towels and set a plate inside the bowl. Place a can on the plate to weight it. Let sit for 1 hour.
- When the eggplant is almost ready, cut the peppers into strips.
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Drain the eggplant cubes and rinse with water. Dry with paper towels.
- Heat ½ cup of olive oil in the pot and raise the heat to medium.
- Add the eggplant and peppers and fry them until they are just turning brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and ¼ cup olive oil. Cook until brown.
- Add the tomatoes to pot and lower heat.
- Stir in the sugar, basil, black pepper, and coriander. Bring the pot to a simmer. Stir frequently, until the tomatoes have begun to reduce, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the capers and olives, and simmer about 15 minutes.
Note: This is best after being refrigerated a few days. Serve at room temperature with bread.
This makes for an interesting salad dish. Line a plate with lettuce leaves and place of scoop of the caponata on top of the lettuce. Pair with Cheesy Garlic Bread for an elegant meatless meal.
You Should Also Read:
Marinated Mushrooms and Eggplant Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.