When fresh peaches are in season, try the following version of Clafouti; fresh peaches are delicious and a good change from the cherries. While this dessert is difficult to spell (another spelling is Clafoutis), it certainly isn’t difficult to make; in fact it can be done in 10-15 minutes hands-on time, depending on how long it takes you to prepare the fruit. The batter, which is poured over lightly sugared fruit, is composed of ordinary staple ingredients that are most likely residing on your cupboard shelves and in your refrigerator.
While perusing the grocery aisles in Paris, I learned that this dessert is so common in France, there are even discounted store brands of it in the dessert section near the yogurt and chocolate mousse. I tasted the store-bought version (cherry) which was similar in texture and taste to my homemade versions, although I am happy to report that the following recipe is quicker (since you don’t have to travel to France), and much, much better!
2-3 cups fresh peaches, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks (about 3 medium to large peaches)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup light cream
3/4 cup flour
1 egg yolk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Butter a 10" pie, gratin, or casserole dish.
- Distribute the peach chunks evenly in the pie dish and sprinkle the 3 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice over them.
- In a blender, mix the milk, cream, flour, eggs, and egg yolk, and salt.
- Blend until smooth, then add the 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla, and almond extract; blend for a second or two to mix.
- Pour the batter over the peach mixture, then place in the oven and bake 45-50 minutes or until puffed and brown.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 288 Calories from Fat 116
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 9% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 142 mg
Sodium 96 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 3%