The use of whole wheat flour adds extra crunch to this dessert; itís a must, and the lucky eaters will not have a clue that theyíre eating healthy whole wheat. Donít get me wrong; Iím not touting this dessert as health food! It does however supply 6 grams of needed fiber per serving, and several other important vitamins and minerals due to the whole wheat and fruit.
Just a note on the whole wheat, which, incidentally, has become known as one of the trendy new super foods: For years itís been known that whole wheat flour supplies fiber, which helps prevent digestive health maladies such as colon cancer. However, according to the : Wheat Foods Council, which promotes whole grains, ď recent studies have shown that eating more whole grains may help reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes. New studies published in 2005 and 2006 show that whole grains may lower triglycerides, improve insulin control, help with weight management, and slow the buildup of arterial plaque.Ē Whole grains such as whole wheat are also loaded with antioxidants.
Make sure you use real butter for flavor, and good ice cream or real whipped cream (margarine or nasty frozen whipped topping would ruin this dessert). As soon as you can get your hands on some of the local fruit in your area, do try this quick and easy dessert; youíll be pleasantly surprised!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 to 5 cups blackberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, or a mixture
High quality Ice cream, or real sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350į.
- Place the butter in a 2 quart glass baking dish and put it in the preheating oven to melt it.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and whole wheat flour.
- When the butter is melted, sprinkle the sugar/flour mixture over the butter.
- Wash the berries; if using peaches or nectarines, peel, pit, and slice them; if using apricots or plums, pit and quarter them.
- Blot the fruit dry on a paper towel.
- Pour the fruit into the baking dish and stir into the flour/sugar/butter mixture just until the fruit is distributed evenly.
- Bake for 55-75 minutes or until the mixture is crisp.
- Serve immediately with ice cream or real whipped cream
Amount Per Serving
Calories 395 Calories from Fat 142
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 25% Protein 8% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 44 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Total Carbohydrate 62 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 33 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 34% Calcium 0% Iron 8%