This beef dish is delicious and can be easily adapted for your slow cooker.
- 2 pounds eye of round roast
- 1 onion
- 1 16 ounce can Italian tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs fresh bay leaf, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Cut the roast into 1" pieces.
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a dutch oven heat 2 Tbs olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and stir well.
- Remove from the stove top.
- Cover the pan and cook in a 300F degree oven for 2 hours.
Note: This dish pairs well with polenta, mashed potatoes, rice, or a simple pasta with butter.
If you would like to cook this in your slow cooker place 2 Tbs of olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker, then add all the other ingredients. You don't need to cook the onions first. Cook for 4 hours on low.
Slow Cooker Tips:
- Preheat the crock before adding ingredients, or cook on the highest setting for the first hour to prevent bacteria from finding a happy home in your slow cooker.
- Place your meats at the bottom of your slow cooker so they have proper heat exposure.
- Don't over fill your slow cooker. It should be 1/2 to 2/3rds full to have proper food to heat ratio.
- Don't peak! When ever you life the lid of your slow cooker you are decreasing the temperature. It's okay to stir the ingredients, but not too often.
- Because slow cookers mellow out seasonings it is the perfect vehicle for recipes like 40 Garlic Clove Chicken.