Try these delicious oats cold, hot, or plain. They are versatile, healthy, hearty, and portable. Try them for breakfast or as a snack.
3 cups dry, whole rolled oats (uncooked)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raw, grated coconut
2 tablespoons coconut oil (I use Nutiva brand)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup Ocean Spray Craisins
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1) In a large skillet, toss the raw grated coconut with a wooden spoon over medium heat until coconut is a nice golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove coconut from skillet, and spread it out evenly on a plate to cool and harden.
2) Turn up heat to medium-high. Add pecans and almonds to the hot skillet and toss with a wooden spoon for about 2 1/2 minutes. Stir frequently to toast nuts on all sides. Remove from skillet and spread out evenly on a plate to cool.
3) In same skillet, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once melted and hot, add the dry rolled oats to the skillet with the coconut oil. Toss the oats with a wooden spoon frequently so they toast evenly for about 4 minutes. At this point, add the cinnamon directly to the oats and stir, incorporating well. Continue to stir and cook for about 40 seconds.
4) Add the Craisins to the oat and cinnamon mixture in skillet. Toss mix with wooden spoon to mix well, for about 1 minute. Add in the cooled toasted grated coconut, stirring for an additional minute. Turn off the heat and allow mixture to cool in skillet for approximately 5 minutes.
5) After oatmeal mixture has cooled, add in the ground flax seed, stirring well to incorporate. *For optimal health benefits from flax, never cook or heat flax seeds or ground flax. This damages the seed and diminishes the nutrient value.
6) After mixture is completely cooled at room temperature, store it in an air tight container for up to two weeks.
*Enjoy these oats cold for a delicious summer breakfast treat: Add 3/4 cup Silk brand Coconut milk to 1/2 cup oat mix and enjoy!
*Enjoy these oats warm for a delicious winter or fall breakfast: Add 3/4 cup Silk brand Coconut milk to 1/2 cup oat mix in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
*Enjoy some oat mix as a snack with a piece of fruit, or over the top of some Greek yogurt drizzled with honey.
**Serving Size: 1/2 cup oat mix= 1 serving.
**Calories per serving: Dry mix: 202 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Prepared with 3/4 cup coconut milk: 262 calories total.