Bake sales are a great way to raise money for a good cause. Planning one is relatively easy and a great activity to do with your kids.
Follow these simple steps for a successful fundraising bake sale!
- Choose a cause that you want to raise money for.
- Find a local organization (or local office of a National organization), and let them know about your fundraiser bake sale. Ask if they will send some brochures that you can pass out to customers, so that they get a chance to see where their money is going. Ask who customers should make checks out to, in case someone wants to make a large donation.
- Make large, bold signs with your kids. Use brightly colored poster board and markers.
- Announce your bake sale to friends, neighbors, social groups, play groups, etc.
- Plan what types of treats youíll offer for sale. Cookies and brownies will store easily, and you can make many different types.
- Recruit a friend or two to bake a few batches of goodies, or host a baking party to bake, decorate, and bag the treats.
- On the day of the bake sale, make sure you have plenty of change.
- Set up a table, and place any brochures or literature for the cause youíre raising money for. If you donít have any, print out a simple face sheet that lets customers know about the charity or cause.
- Remember to tell your kids to thank every customer that purchases a treat.
- Let your kids accompany you as you take the proceeds from your bake sale to the nonprofit organization or charity.
- There are other types of bake sales you can have with your kids. Lemonade stands are perfect for warmer days, and hot chocolate/coffee stands are perfect for the colder days.
- Consider recruiting three or four friends to pitch in the bake sale. If each friend helps spread the word through their own neighbors, schools, churches, work, etc., thereís a great chance youíll have a huge turnout.
- Talk with your kids specifically about how the money they helped raise will help the charity.