- It's nickname is The Peach State. It's also known as the Empire State of the South.
- St. Marys, Georgia, is the second oldest city in the nation.
- The state was named for King George II of England.
- The Georgia-Florida border is home to one of the largest swamps in the world—Okefenokee—which spans 438,000 acres.
Beauty Pageants:Georgia beauties can enter pageants for prizes and prestige. Here are a few events throughout the state and region:
- Southern Grace (sgpageants.com/Pageants.html)
- PageantCenter.com (visit the Georgia page)
Outdoors: The Georgia Department of Natural Resources website has information about the annual poster contest. Just visit, georgiawildlife.org and search for contests.
Travel:The official Georgia Tourism and Travel site has updated listings of state contests at exploregeorgia.org/contests.
For those interested in traveling Georgia, consider the following titles to help you plan your trip:
Carolinas Georgia & the South Trips (Regional Travel Guide)
Day Trips from Atlanta: Getaway Ideas for the Local Traveler (Day Trips Series)