This week’s email request.
"Could you help me? I love Arwen's (from Lord of the Rings) hair. How can I get my hair into gentle waves yet not crimpy and too wavy? Here's the problem with my hair.....its straight and won't curl very easily. I've tried scrunching it and letting it air dry and that doesn't work for my hair! Waving irons and braids aren't doing the trick."
Liv Tyler has beautiful hair in this movie! I’m not sure anyone outside of Arwen the elf can get this look but I’ll try to help you achieve it.
Since you tell me that you have tried various avenues without success, I’ll go on to something with more holding power. Try this:
- Body building shampoo and light conditioner
- Medium hold hair gel or setting lotion
- Large benders or flexible rollers
- Large toothed comb
- Large clips
- Blow dryer or hood-type dryer
- Shampoo your hair with a body building shampoo or one that is formulated for fine hair. Use a small amount of conditioner designed for fine hair. Apply this only to tangles and dry ends. Rinse it thoroughly and towel dry.
- Apply the hair gel or setting lotion. Rub this between your palms to emulsify it and then distribute it evenly throughout your hair. Comb it through. Lightly blow dry or allow the hair to dry naturally until it is just damp. Clip your hair up so that you can work with the hair at the bottom.
Starting at the top part of the bottom section, separate a large strand of hair about one and a half inches square.
- Comb the strand smooth and wrap the end of it around one end of the roller. Wrap the hair around and over the ends to hold them in place and then continue wrapping in a spiral formation up the roller. Stop about two inches from the head to create a ‘lead’ that is not curled. If you bend the top end of the roller over the hair, it will stay in place.
Continue with large sections until all your hair is wrapped. Each roller will dangle in a vertical position.
- Dry your hair with a hood type dryer, a blow dryer set on ‘low’ or let it dry naturally. When your hair is thoroughly dry, remove the rollers. Separate and blend the curls with your fingers. If it seems that your hair has taken a strong curl, use a wide-toothed comb to smooth the waves.
The more you comb, the more the waves will relax.
If it isn’t perfect the first time try different sized partings. If your hair has a tendency to frizz, apply a little hair serum or shine drops with the hair gel then, sit back and enjoy those beautiful soft waves.