Meg Ryan is well known for her great hair. Each new style becomes a trend-setter, and is sure to be fun and easy to wear. Her hairstyle in the romantic comedy "Kate and Leopold" is a look that will be in demand for years to come. It’s the answer to wearing long hair that keeps its shape throughout the day.
Start with a blunt haircut at about shoulder length.
Layer the top of the style, leaving the layers long, reaching below cheekbone level. The layering from this level down brings the hair closer to the head. ( indicated by the arrows ) After the cut, you will want the nape area to be thick enough for a ‘solid’ appearance and thin enough to cup in - giving the style its shape in the back and sides.
Texturizing is used throughout the cut for a piecey appearance. I suggest creating this texturizing with shears rather than a razor - leaving blunt, chunky ends. Use invisible texturizing in the top to add fullness while maintaining the overall long layers. The short hair pieces within the long helps to fluff the top slightly.
The amount of texturizing from the occipital bone down depends upon the thickness of the hair in that area. Very thick hair often causes it to appear overly full at the bottom. In that case, more texturizing is needed in the underneath layers to remove bulk.
- The secret of giving this look its personality is in the styling products.
- Shampoo and condition with products formulated for your hair type.
- Apply styling glaze or foam to towel-dried hair and blow it dry causing it to be fuller on top.
- Use a large round brush or large curling iron to give the shape and poof to the top.
- Use a flat iron to smooth out any waves and to take out any extra fullness in the area below the ears.
- Finish the style by applying hair cream, wax or paste to separate the pieces and give the hair texture.
- Apply a small amount of the product to the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together to emulsify it, then scrunch it into the hair, arranging the style with your fingers and pulling the fullness out of the bottom. Add more if needed. It is the secret of a ‘chunky’ look.
Kate & Leopold on DVD
Kate & Leopold on VHS