How to Stir Fry Step-by-Step
Stir frying is both quick and easy, and is one of the main techniques used in Chinese cooking today. It’s a simple process of cooking bite sized meats and vegetables over high heat and adding any number of different flavors. Before starting the stir fry process make sure to gather all of your utensils and ingredients. To do this, see the article on Everything You Need to Start Stir Frying. If the recipe requires that the meat be velveted, do this before starting the stir fry process as well. Once you have all of your utensils and ingredients prepared, then you are ready to stir fry. Following is a basic outline of the stir fry process.
- Place the wok on the burner and the chopsticks and spatula near by.
- Prepare and pre measure all of the ingredients and place them in separate dishes near the wok. Make sure that everything is pre measured. Once the cooking starts there is little time to measure ingredients.
- Now everything is ready to start cooking. If your meat has been velveted, simply skip the first six steps of this process.
- Heat the wok on high and let it get hot.
- Add the oil, swirling it around to coat about an inch or so up the sides of the wok. Usually about 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Make sure the oil is hot and then add any seasonings for the meat such as garlic or onion. Stir fry them according to the recipe or for just 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the meat and stir fry according to the recipe instructions, or until cooked through or browned. Keep in mind that you don’t want to overcook the meat.
- Remove the meat from the wok.
- Wipe out the wok – this is not a requirement.
- Add more oil, usually another tablespoon or so. Let the oil get hot.
- Add the dense vegetables such as your root vegetables and stalks and stir fry them according to the recipe or for about 2 minutes.
- Add the softer leafy vegetables and stir fry for about another 2 minutes. Keep in mind that the goal is to keep the vegetables semi-crisp and brightly colored in the final dish.
- Add the meat back into the wok.
- Add the sauce and seasonings. These should be pre mixed and measured before starting the cooking process.
- Add the thickener. The thickener should be pre mixed with water before the cooking process starts.
- Now it’s time to eat! Serve the stir fry with white rice, fried rice, or noodles. Relax and Enjoy!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Lila Voo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lila Voo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lila Voo for details.