There are so many different variations of lemon chicken. In a previous recipe I created a lemon chicken that consists of bite sized pieces of battered chicken smothered in a delicious lemony sauce. In this recipe the chicken breasts are left whole, fried to a golden brown, and then topped with a light lemon sauce and fresh lemon slices. Try this amazing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup water
½ cup cornstarch
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 ½ cups peanut oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 ½ tbsp light brown sugar
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp ground ginger
- Remove all of the fat from each chicken breast and pound them out flat to about ½ of an inch thick.
- Rinse and lightly scrub the outside of the lemon with a brush. Then dry it with paper towels and cut it into thin slices and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add only the yolks of each egg, reserving the whites for a future recipe. Beat them lightly and slowly add in the water until mixed thoroughly.
- Add the cornstarch, salt, and pepper to the egg mixture, mixing everything together until a light batter forms.
- In a large non stick pot or wok, heat the oil on high. Make sure that the oil is heated to about 375 degrees. You can either use a thermometer or simply flick just a little water into the oil to see if it sizzles. Once it sizzles, it should be hot enough to begin cooking the chicken.
- Once the oil is hot, dip two of the chicken breasts into the batter. Let the excess mixture drip off, and then place them into the wok. Cook them for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they turn a golden brown and are cooked through. Then remove them and place them on paper towels to drain. Repeat this process with the next two chicken breasts.
- Once the chicken has been cooked, place a piece of foil over them to keep them warm and begin cooking the sauce.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves, and set it aside.
- Wipe out the wok and add the chicken broth, lemon juice, brown sugar, honey, and ginger. Heat the sauce on high, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the sauce boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until lightly thick.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on a plate, pour the lemon sauce over them, and then top them with the sliced lemons and serve. Makes 4 delicious servings.