Shrimp toasts are the perfect party appetizer! Try this amazing recipe for your next cocktail party. Enjoy!
To see a video of these instructions click here.
8 slices white sandwich bread (Wonder bread works well in this recipe)
2 to 3 cups of peanut oil
10 large raw pre-cleaned shrimp (about .5 lbs)
1 large green onion
1 tsp stir fry oil
1 tsp sherry
1 egg white
2 tsp cornstarch
10 sliced water chestnuts (canned)
¼ tsp white ground pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
- Remove all of the crusts from the bread and flatten each piece out using the palm of your hand.
- Once all the pieces are flat, place them on a piece of foil and toast them under the broiler for about 1 minute on each side, or just until lightly brown. Depending on the size of your oven, I usually toast 4 pieces at a time so that they brown evenly.
- After the bread is toasted, cut each slice into 4 equal triangles and then set them aside.
- Make sure that your shrimp are already peeled and deveined. If not, clean them and then set them aside.
- Cut the bases off of the green onion and about a half inch from the top of the green stalks and discard. Rinse the remaining stalk under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Dice it into small pieces and set them aside.
- Blend all of the shrimp paste ingredients in a food processor on high until a thick paste is formed.
- Once the paste is finished, spread each of the toast triangles with a thin layer of the shrimp paste and then set the toasts on a plate.
- After all of the toasts are coated with the shrimp paste, sprinkle them with just a little salt. This is optional, but I find that it brings out the flavor of the shrimp a bit more.
- Add the peanut oil to the wok and heat it on high. Once the oil is hot, add the shrimp toasts one at a time placing the shrimp side down into the oil. Depending on the size of your wok, add about 5 toasts at a time so that the wok does not get overcrowded and the oil temperature remains steady.
- Cook them for 30 seconds to a minute on each side. Once you see the edges of the first side start to brown, flip them over. When both sides are done, remove them with a slotted spoon and set them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Continue cooking the remaining toasts in batches.
- Serve immediately. Makes 32 shrimp toasts.