Crispy shredded beef is a delicious dish that combines a uniquely textured meat with a wonderful sweet, sour, and spicy sauce. The meat in this recipe has a chewy, slightly crunchy, overcooked texture which is signature of this dish. Try this amazing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To see a video of these instructions click here.
1.5 lbs bottom round beef
1 cup pre shredded carrots
2 to 3 cups of peanut oil
5 tablespoons cornstarch
ľ cup rice wine vinegar.
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp hot chili garlic sauce
- Remove all of the fat from the meat and cut it into thin strips and set them aside.
- In a cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set it aside.
- Add the peanut oil to the wok and heat it on high. Make sure to add enough oil so that the beef will be submerged.
- While the oil is heating, add the cornstarch to the beef strips. Use your hand to mix it in thoroughly, making sure that each piece is coated.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef and let it cook for 5 minutes, or until it turns dark brown. Depending on the size of your wok, you will probably have to cook the beef in batches. Remember we donít want to crowd the wok. Also, the more beef you have in the wok, the longer it will take to cook. For instance, if you add all of the beef to the wok, the temperature of the oil will lower, making the cooking time longer. This is usually undesirable because it will cause the meat to be tough and overcooked. The beef in this recipe however is suppose to have an overcooked texture, but not too overcooked. Iíve found that the best way for a standard size wok is to cook the beef in 3 batches, for about 5 minutes each.
- Once the beef has cooked, remove it from the wok using a slotted spoon and set it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove all of the oil except for one tablespoon. Heat this oil on high.
- Once the oil is hot, add the carrots and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Then return the beef to the wok and add the sauce mixture. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined and then serve.
- Serve with fried rice or noodles. Makes 3 servings.