Snow peas are a wonderful stir fry vegetable that bring flavor and texture to almost any dish. In the recipe below these delicious pods are paired with beef that has been velveted. Velveting the beef creates a silky smooth texture and prevents it from overcooking. The result is an amazing combination of tastes and textures. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
1 lb lean beef
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp peanut oil
12 oz snow peas
¼ piece fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
4 green onions
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
½ tsp sugar
4 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
½ cup beef broth
- Remove all of the fat from the beef and cut it into 2 inch long thin slices. Make sure you cut across the grain. This means you want to cut perpendicular to the lines that you can see within the beef. Cutting across the grain helps the beef remain tender in the final dish.
- Once the slices are cut, place them in a container that has a tight fitting lid and begin to add the marinade in the following steps.
- First sprinkle in the salt while stirring the meat. Then slowly stir in the sherry.
- Next add the egg white and gently stir to coat each piece making sure not to froth the egg. Frothing the egg will cause the beef to become hard after cooking it. Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil, stir to coat, and cover. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the meat is marinating, prepare the other ingredients. Place the snow peas in a colander and run cold water over them, gently tossing them to remove any dirt. Then remove any stems that may still be attached. Shake the colander and let them sit to drain thoroughly.
- Cut the skin off of the ginger and then mince it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Smash the garlic clove with the side of a knife. Peel it and cut off the ends. Then mince it into tiny pieces.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Cut off the bases and about an inch or so of the green tops and discard. Then slice the remaining stalks into small pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and set it aside.
- Once the meat has marinated, we will cook it following the boiling method of the velveting process. Bring a pot of water plus one tablespoon of the peanut oil to boil.
- Once the water boils slowly add the meat to the pot and cook it for just one minute. Then remove it with a slotted spoon, making sure to drain it thoroughly and to not pick up any of the loose egg that may have floated up to the top of the pot. Place the meat in a bowl or on a plate and set it aside. You may place the meat on a paper towel to soak up the remaining water.
- In a non stick pot or wok heat the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil on high. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for just 1 minute.
- Then add the snow peas and stir fry for another 3 minutes.
- Return the beef to the wok and add the sugar, oyster sauce, vinegar, and beef broth. Bring everything to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until thick and remove from the heat.
- Serve over white or fried rice. Make 3 delicious servings.