Chicken in garlic sauce is a Chinese takeout favorite. The recipe below combines fresh vegetables and chicken in an easy to make garlic sauce. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To see a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
½ tsp garlic salt
1 large broccoli crown
4 cloves fresh garlic
½ medium yellow onion
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
½ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp oyster sauce
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken. Then cut it into slices, about ½ inch to an inch wide. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the garlic salt, using your hand to mix it in thoroughly. Then set them aside.
- Peel the carrots, cut off the ends and discard them. Then cut each carrot on a diagonal into about ¼ thick inch slices. Place the slices in a microwavable safe bowl and set them aside.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets and either discard the stalk or save it for a future recipe. Break any large florets into smaller pieces and then place them in the bowl with the carrots.
- Cover the broccoli and carrots with hot water and then microwave them on high for 2 minutes. This is comparable to parboiling them. Once they are done, drain them in a colander and set them aside.
- Peel the garlic, mince it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Cut the onion into thin strips about an ½ inch to an inch in length and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set it aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and then set it aside.
- Heat a non stick wok on high. Once hot, add just 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken and stir fry it until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once the chicken browns, remove it from the wok, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Wipe out the wok and add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion and stir fry them for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or until they become lightly brown and fragrant.
- Then add in the vegetables and stir fry for one more minute.
- Return the chicken to the wok and add in the sauce. Let the sauce come to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Stir to coat the chicken and vegetables with the sauce and then remove it from the heat.
- This is great served with white steamed rice. Makes 3 generous servings.