Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chip Shortbread Recipe
Shortbread cookies originated in Scotland as early as the 12th century. They then became popular in England and Ireland. These cookies have a high percentage of butter, resulting in their crumbly texture. A typical shortbread can be round, rectangle, or baked into a large circle then cut into triangles.
The shortbread cookies in this recipe are round. I wanted to sweeten a standard shortbread with some chocolate. These cookies are sweetened with semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. These cookies are the perfect afternoon treat with a cup of tea.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Makes 30 cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
3/4 cup peanut butter chips
1. In a small bowl combine the flour and baking powder and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
4. Slowly add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
5. Stir in the chips.
6. Form the dough into two logs, about two inches in diameter and cover each log in plastic wrap.
6. Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour. Refrigerating the dough makes it much easier to work with.
7. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
8. Unwrap the log and slice about 1 inch thick.
9. Flatten slightly, since the cookies will not spread. It is important to note that the cookies do not change shape while baking. Now is the time to mold or adjust the shape.
10. Bake for about 25 minutes. (The cookies will still look uncooked on the top and lightly browned on the bottom)
11. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
These cookies can be baked and then frozen for up to 4 weeks in an airtight container. Or if you prefer you can freeze the dough. When you are ready to bake, take out the dough and allow to thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Michelle Matile. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Michelle Matile. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Brandii Lacey for details.