Steamed meals are delicious, healthy, and quite easy to make. These wonderful dishes do however require a special cooking instrument called a steamer. Steamers come in various forms and sizes. You donít have to have the best steamer to make great food; you just need one that suits your specific needs. For instance, since itís just my husband and I, I have a small 10 inch bamboo steamer which is very inexpensive and works perfectly for the amount of food that I make. Also, if you already own a wok with a lid, then you can simply use a steamer rack that is placed inside the wok to steam your food. At the bottom of this page are several different types of steamers that are sold at Amazon.com.
To see a video of the instructions for this wonderful recipe click here. Enjoy!!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
2 medium carrots Ė 1Ē round
2 large celery stalks
5 to 6 baby portabella mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
Ĺ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp sugar
1 Ĺ tbsp sherry
1 Ĺ tbsp cornstarch
Ĺ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
ľ tsp garlic salt
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then slice each breast into thin 1 Ĺ inch long slices.
- Once all of the chicken is cut, place it in a bowl to be marinated. Add the marinade in steps. First sprinkle in the garlic salt and sugar using your hand to mix it in thoroughly. Then add the sherry, coating each piece. Finally, slowly sprinkle in the cornstarch a little at a time, until it is thoroughly mixed in. Set the chicken aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Peel the carrots and then cut them in slices on a diagonal. Set these slices aside.
- Wash the celery stalks and dry them with paper towels. Then cut them in slices on a diagonal the same as the carrots.
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping them with a wet paper towel or cloth. Remove the stems and then cut them into thin slices and set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Then add this sauce mixture to the chicken and mix it in thoroughly using your hand.
- Next, add all of the vegetables to the chicken and mix everything up together. Make sure that the sauce coats all of the chicken and the vegetables.
- Once everything is mixed, place it into a dish. This dish should fit comfortably inside your steamer tray. If you have a smaller steamer, you may have to use 2 or even 3 separate dishes and cook them in batches.
- Once the chicken and vegetables are in the dish, place the dish inside the steamer tray.
- Bring a pot or wok (depending on your type of steamer) of water to boil. Then place the steamer tray on top and cover.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes and then check to make sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the dish from the steamer and stir. The chicken may slightly stick together. Simply stir to break it back into the pieces. Then it can be served directly from the dish it was cooked in.
- Serve with white or fried rice. Makes 3 generous servings.
Here are several different steamers sold at Amazon.com:
This is the one I use:
Here is the tray that sits in a wok:
Here is a stand alone if you do not have a pot:
This reminds me of the one my grandmother used to have; and itís great for a large family: