Almond chicken is a wonderful warm dish that combines velveted chicken pieces in a light and delicious sauce. This dish is perfect for a winter time family meal. Try this amazing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
½ cup sliced almonds
1 large carrot
¼ piece of fresh ginger
5 green onions
3 celery stalks
½ cup fresh sliced mushrooms
½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots
4½ tsp cornstarch
Peanut oil for frying
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp sherry
4 tsp soy sauce
1½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken, cut each breast into 1 inch pieces, and place them in a container with a tight fitting lid to be marinated.
- Apply the velveting marinade in the following steps. First sprinkle in the salt while stirring the meat and then stir in the sherry.
- With your hand, add the egg white and gently mix to coat each piece of chicken making sure not to froth the egg. Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil and stir to coat. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Lightly toast the almonds by heating your wok on high. Once the wok is hot, add the almonds without any oil and cook them while stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until light brown. Then set them aside.
- Peel the carrot and then slice it into thin ½ inch slices and set them aside.
- Peel the ginger, mince it, and set it aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water, cut off their bases and about a half inch from the top of the green stalks and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into ½ inch pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Rinse the celery under cold water and dry it with paper towels. Then cut each stalk into ½ pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Rinse the mushrooms quickly under cold running water, dry them with paper towels, and set them aside.
- Drain the bamboo and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set this sauce mixture aside.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves and set it aside.
- Once the chicken has marinated, cook it using the frying method of the velveting process. Start this process by heating enough peanut oil in a wok to submerge the chicken, on medium heat. We do not want the meat to sizzle when we cook it; we just want to gently let it cook.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the chicken. Depending on the size of your wok, you may want to cook the meat in batches. Remember, we do not want to crowd the wok while frying. Let the chicken cook for 30 seconds or just until it turns white. Then remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Once all of the chicken is cooked, remove the oil leaving 1½ tablespoons in the wok. Heat this oil on high. Once it is hot add the ginger, carrots, and celery and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and bamboo and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture, chicken, almonds, and green onions and bring everything to a boil.
- Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick.
- Serve over white rice. Makes 3 servings.